Photo Forums - Bob Atkins Photography
home
register

search
Photo Forums - Bob Atkins Photography > Comments and Feedback > Feedback on new navigation menus 5-5-2016 03:54PM

Forums Navigation
 •  Forums Home Page
 •  Comments and Feedback
 •  Canon EOS Questions
 •  Technical Optics
 •  Digital Darkroom
 Site Navigation
 •  Home Page
 •  Digital
 •  Reviews
 •  Optics
 •  Articles

•  Books
 •  Canon News
 •  Photo News
 •  Gallery
 •  EOS FAQ

Sponsored Links

IMPORTANT: These forums are now closed but are available in "READ ONLY" mode in order to preserve the information contained in them. The forum search function works so you can search the existing posts.

New forums are avaliable here: BobAtkins.com Photo Forums . These forums were closed for security reasons since they were hacked and the code running them is no longer supported. The new forums are database backed, faster, have more features and are much more secure.

You do not have new topic access  You do not have reply access
Bob Atkins
Moderator and Administrator

Administrator
Feedback on new navigation menus

I'm testing out a new navigation menu system and I'd appreciate feedback, especially if you have any problems with it.

It uses CSS and Javascripr and I've tested it in IE6, Firefox and Opera 7 browsers. In all of those it works just fine. However I don't have any access to Mac browsers and I don't yet have IE7 installed, so I can't be sure it works in absolutely every browser.

It's desgined to make it easier to navigate around the site and easier for me to make additions to as the site develops further.

You can see the test page HERE

1-28-2007 08:55PM
cwford

Registered
New Nav Menus

I'm using Safari on the Mac and the new menus mostly work. There are a few menus that have problems. For instance on the Canon EOS menu, there is what looks to be a gap between Rebates and Forum. When I move my mouse over the "gap" the menu disappears. Other than these few exceptions the system looks and works quite nicely.

I have included a picture as well...

The same thing happens at the following locations:

Reviews menu between Speedlites and Film Cameras
Learning menu betweeen Articles and Books
Forums menu between Technical Optics and LensPlay
The Rest menu between Feedback and Books
Search menu in the middle of the Google choice

1-30-2007 02:47PM
cwford

Registered
New Nav Menus

Oops looks like the image didnt POST. If you would like a copy send me an email....

1-30-2007 02:49PM
Bob Atkins

Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. The Safaro problem has been reported by several users. Not quite sure what's causing it and without a Mac running Safari right here with me it's tough to debug things.

I've enabled uploads temporarily, so you can try the upload again. I'd be interested to see how bad it looks! You should be able to upload any jpg or tiff file up to 975kB

Thanks

Last edited by Bob Atkins on 1-30-2007 08:28PM
1-30-2007 08:27PM
cwford

Registered
Safari Menus

Here are some screen captures of Safari

1-31-2007 12:50AM
Bob Atkins

Administrator

Looks like attachment upload isn't working as it should. Let me try it and see what happens

1-31-2007 11:11AM
Bob Atkins

Administrator

Obviously doesnt't work :-(

A quick Google search reveals I'm not the only one with problems. I'm seeeing exactly the same thing as this bug report on the Navboard forum http://navarone.f2o.org/forum/index.php?forum=5&topic=380

No resolution was given there, so I'm still trying to track down the source of the problem. It's not a dipsplay issue, the file simply isn't uploading since the attachments folder on my system is empty.

Thanks for trying again.

1-31-2007 11:22AM
cwford

Registered
New Nav Menus

No problem I'll send the images via email.

wade

2-1-2007 12:48PM
GWFYarm

Registered
New Menu glitches under IE7

The behavior of the new menus is inconsistent for me. I am using Win XP SP2 and IE7 on a laptop with a wide screen (1680 x 1050), and my Taskbar located on the right side of the screen. I use IE7 maximized, in other words filling the screen (except for the Taskbar).

The "proper" behavior does happen occasionally - when I mouse over a menu, it drops down by itself immediately below the menu, then allows me to move the mouse down to highlight and/or click on one of the sub-menu topics.

However, if I click on one of the menus, say "Home", when that page finishes loading and I mouse over the "Home" menu, the drop-down menu for "Home" appears underneath the "Reviews" menu, and will not allow me to scroll down over it... if I move the mouse down, it goes away; if I move the mouse to the right, the "Reviews" sub-menu appears underneath the "Canon EOS" menu.

I can work around this by clicking on the main menu item, then trying to navigate from there, or by using the matrix of direct links below the main menu.

I have not yet been able to isolate under what circumstances the main menu works properly... most of the time, it behaves in the "hard to get" manner described above.

You have a wonderful site here. Thank you for maintaining it!

3-14-2007 01:40PM
GWFYarm

Registered
"Hard to Get" sub-menus

In playing around some more, my guess is that this could be a problem with IE7. Here is the way things seem to work on my machine.

1) Open IE7, with one blank tab as the default starting configuration.

2) Click on bobatkins.com from my favorites list. It appears in the tab that is open, and the sub-menus are "hard to get".

3) Click on the new tab button (to the right of the existing tab). A new tab opens, showing a blank page

4) Click on the tab containing the bobatkins.com page to return to that page, and *presto* - the top level menu now works like a charm.

5) Click on the tab for the empty page, then click on my favorites link for bobatkins.com. The page that comes up has "hard to get" sub-menus again.

6) Click on the original tab - sub-menus work fine here still.

7) Click on the new tab - sub-menus now work fine here too.

Go figure.

3-14-2007 03:05PM
Bob Atkins

Administrator

I think it's due to loading order of javascript modules. The dropdown menus depend on a javascript file to be loaded. If something holds that up, the page may appear to be fully loaded but it isn't.

I see the same thing at times in IE6 and it does bother me a bit. When I get a chance I do intend to revise or replace the code with something that doesn't have the "glitch" that you are describing.

Normally I think you only see it on an initial load of the home page. After that the file is cached, though slow loading ad code or counter code could still hold things up since they aren't cached.

I suspect it may be related to IE as well. I haven't seen the problem occur in Firefox or Opera.

Many thanks for the report though. It's an issue that's on the list of things to look at when I get a chance!

Last edited by Bob Atkins on 3-14-2007 03:20PM
3-14-2007 03:18PM
GWFYarm

Registered

The menus seem to be working for me now... as long as I give the page time to load fully. So, assuming you have made some changes to produce this result, thank you!

3-23-2007 12:28PM
 You do not have new topic access  You do not have reply access

Page: 1

Sponsored Links

Recent Reviews:
  • Tamron 18-250 Review
  • Tokina 12-24/4 Review
  • EOS 30D - Full Review
  • Canon EF 17-85/4-5.6 IS
  • Canon EF 10-22/3.5-4.5
  • Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS
  • Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT