All images © Bob Atkins

12.jpg

This website is hosted by:
Host Unlimited Domains on 1 Account

11.jpg

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Web www.bobatkins.com
+  The Canon EOS and Photography Forums
|-+  Photography Forums
| |-+  The Canon EOS Forum
| | |-+  DPP very slow to load/open
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DPP very slow to load/open  (Read 12551 times)  bookmark this topic!
Johnny

DPP very slow to load/open
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »

The two latest versions of DPP has been very, very slow to load. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am using a PC, a SSD (reasonable fast) and even Photoshop is loading fast.

When I click the DPP icon to open up the program it takes about 20-30 second for it to open. This started after I upgraded DPP a couple of months ago. I do not know if this is a DPP issue or if there is anything I can do to speed up the process. I have not seen it before and everything else is fast.

When I open up DPP for the second time it usually loads faster as it is in the memory. I think is has to do with DPP building previews, but I am not sure.
KeithB

Re: DPP very slow to load/open
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

Could it be looking for a camera? Try it with your camera plugged in.
Johnny

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

Are you thinking of EOS Utility? Not sure if DPP can connect to the camera?

Could it be looking for a camera? Try it with your camera plugged in.
Bob Atkins
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:44 PM »

Is it still slow if the default directory contains no images? If so then it's not related to building or displaying previews.

I haven't measured DPP load time and right now I'm on my laptop (which is pretty slow). If it seems to run at normal speed then there's probably nothing wrong. I'll try measuring my load speed when I get back on my desktop.
Johnny

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »

It takes less than a second to open DPP when it opens in an empty folder. Hmm, will have to make sure I have added thumbnails to every folder/image. I usually do it everytime I add new images to DPP but maybe I have deleted some of the thumbnails when I did some diskmaintenance? Thanks for the tip.

Is it still slow if the default directory contains no images?
Johnny

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »

Still got no answers. Sometimes DPP loads really fast with an empty catalogue and sometimes it takes almost 30 seconds. Windows 8.1 problem? ?  Huh
Bob Atkins
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »

Still using Windows XP SP3 here, so I can't help!

It sounds like a system issue rather than a DPP issue if sometimes it loads fast and sometimes it loads slow. Could it be a memory issue? Could it be there's a virus scan running in the background? When you load DPP are there a lot of other programs loaded or running? Just wondering if it's related to the disk cache. Does DPP ever load slowly when it's the only thing that's running?
KeithB

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »

I think Windows also caches programs to improve load time. If you have loaded a big program - like Word - after DPP, it might wipe it from the cache.
Johnny

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »

Thanks, Bob and Keith. It is confusing. Everything is really fast, even Photoshop CS. So, I am not sure if it is a system issue or not. Will  do a memory health check to sort it out.

Yes, maybe is has something to do with the way Windows caches programs. I only have 4Gigs of RAM but that should be enough, don't you think? After Windows XP I stopped digging into the OS. Now I just expect it to work.

Have been checking for virus and the system is clean.

Have been trying to load DPP when all other programs are closed and also the opposite, and nothing changes. Sometimes it is fast and sometimes it takes almost 30 seconds.

Upgraded some time in December, I think. Maybe I should try a reinstall?

Never had this issue before. If a reinstall does not solve it and if there is no memory issues I think I will have to wait for a new version. It will probably come in a month or two when the new camera hit the marked.
Bob Atkins
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

A reinstall certainly shouldn't hurt, so I'd give it a try. It's very difficult to troubleshoot intermittent issues like this.

On my system with bunch of stuff loaded and running it takes DPP about 5 seconds to open, then extra time while it loads the thumbnails. That's XP SP3 with 4GB of memory installed  (not all of which it can access). I'm running DPP 3.13.45.0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:44:42 PM by Bob Atkins » Logged
Johnny

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 01:54:35 AM »

I am now running DPP v.3.13.20 and it is as fast as it should be. Have only been trying it for a day so I am not sure how stable it is.

I tried to reinstall the latest version several times but experienced the same issue.

Version 3.13.20 is the one that comes with the downloadable EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 28.2A.
Bob Atkins
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »

I think the latest version right now is 3.13.51 (which shipped with the EOS 70D). I haven't tried that one. Is that the version you were having problems with?
Johnny

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »

Yes, Bob. 3.13.51 was the version I was having trouble with. v3.13.20 seems to be fine. Used it today and it worked fine.
Johnny

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »

Installed the latest version of DPP, v3.14.15.0 and now DPP loads fast once again. Supports Windows 8.1.
Pages: [1]    
Print
« previous next »
Jump to: