All images © Bob Atkins

13.jpg

This website is hosted by:
Host Unlimited Domains on 1 Account

20.jpg

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Web www.bobatkins.com
+  The Canon EOS and Photography Forums
|-+  Photography Forums
| |-+  The Canon EOS Forum
| | |-+  Autofocus Modes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Autofocus Modes  (Read 3796 times)  bookmark this topic!
klindup

Autofocus Modes
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:58 AM »

I have read and re-read the handbook for my 40D and numerous articles that talk about autofocus modes.  I understand the differences between the three modes but what I cannot understand is why I would want to select One Shot or  Servo since AI switches between the two as appropriate. Why would would I not want to leave the camera set to the AI mode?
Thanks
Ken
KeithB

Re: Autofocus Modes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »

Because what the camera thinks is appropriate might not be what *you* think is appropriate. 8^).

About the only situation I can think of is this:
Say you want to take multiple shots of a drag race. If you focus on the car and hit and hold the shutter as the light turns green, the camera might not swich to Servo mode.
Bob Atkins
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

In one shot mode you can lock focus (and/or exposure) by 1/2 depressing the shutter. There are times when you might want that. You might want to focus on something and hold that focus, even if other subjects move around.

It's basically a case of the camera doing exactly what you want (and expect) it to do rather than having the camera decide on what it should be focusing on and whether it should track that object if it decides to move (or something else moves that the camera thinks might be your main subject).
klindup

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »

Bob, Keith thanks for your replies.  They make perfect sense and explain why I might want to override the camera.
Ken
Pages: [1]    
Print
« previous next »
Jump to: